Why improve sustainability performance as a small tourism enterprise?
We believe there may be diverse reasons for individuals and small tourism enterprises to improve sustainability. They may be:
- Because they love our planet and the people in it
- Because sustainable businesses are needed in future markets
- Because what each of us do, influences the totality
- Because emissions from travels also in the tourism industry leads to global climate change
- Because land use also by tourism is the main reason for loss of animal and biodiversity
About the theme
This section gives you access to authoritative sources related specifically to development of the natural environment on a global scale and the tourism enterprises role in it:
- Diverse sources showing how human activities are forming the globe’s future
- Small tourism enterprises in a larger picture
- The global wonders expressed
If you want, you can explore why sustainable development is important by using these questions. All resources below are potentially relevant for the questions. To find particular resources, an idea is to use the search function with some of the keywords in the question.
In a sustainability perspective, what are the main values that are threatened in your area? Why? Discuss or evaluate both economic, social and environmental issues. (Tips: Use the resources on values from valuable areas as inspiration.)
How and to what extent may global developments related to ecological changes influence your firm (or tourism enterprises in general) in the short and long run? Why? (Tips: Use for instance the IPBES and UNWTO reports, Google timelapse).
How does small tourism enterprises influence sustainability in a local, national and global scale? Assess both positive and negative effects. (Tips: Use for instance the IPBES and UNWTO reports, Google timelapse and the resources on crowding and air emissions as inspiration.)
If relevant: How does your firm influence sustainability in a local, national and global scale? Assess both positive and negative effects. (Same tips as above.)
To what extent does animals, plants and ecological systems have an independent right to continued life? (Tips: Use the resources on the Anthropocene and Anthropocentrism as a starting point.)
Resources - Why?